« Home | This is from my Communication and Technology class... » | A Matter of Tactics: Interpersonal vs. Social Iden... » | I had to share these with somebody. My first one ... » | It's Saturday night and well...I went grocery shop... » | Ok. So here are the field notes from an observatio... » | Well it's official guys...I'm going to China! I go... » | Well it looks like I'm probably going to be going ... » | On a more serious note check these people out. » | So I have a girl in one of my classes that is in R... » | The advent of digital technology has allowed human... » 

Sunday, March 05, 2006 

I’ve been meaning to blog this for a while but I’ve been too lazy. Does anyone remember Ashley Highfield’s article on the future of television? He states that consumers are entering an era when they want to control their media consumption and that technologies such as DVR’s allow them to do this by fast forwarding, rewinding, recording, and skipping advertisements. He believes that the ability to download and manipulate video content will eventually undermine the existing format of television leading to the need for more live events that must been seen and interacted with (think American Idol).

So what has KFC done to combat this? They’ve produced a comercial that rewards the fewer for engaging it’s content. With the use of a DVR (or possible a really good VCR) you can playback the commercial at a slow speed to earn yourself a coupon for a Buffalo Snacker chicken sandwich. They’re rewarding the viewer to engage the advertisement in an effort to prevent them from skipping over it…"

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.