« Home | I just want us to question our assumptions. I thi... » | I’m going to say something controversial. I know, ... » | Just like everything organic or that takes on a li... » | The Social Psychological Mechanisms of Online Comm... » | Last spring I posted about Mydeathspace.com, a web... » | I really doubt that Microsoft has started a new vi... » | Building a learning community is tough. Follow ou... » | Content is king! You have to provide them with con... » | We’ve mentioned a Stephen Colbert and his clashes ... » | According to Wired News the government is ignoring... » 

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 

While museums have long rented out specialized handsets to take the place of live guides, mobile phones may supplant them as the preferred device for museum goers. Already it is not uncommon to see museum goers using their mobile phones to take pictures of displays and art work, audio tours that you dial up on your phone may become more and more common. Although using mobile phones for audio tours is nothing new, I find that most people I mention this to are unaware of this potential mobile phone usage.

Furthermore, the flexibility offered by mobile phones allow these audio tours to be used in untraditional ways. For example, rather than just touring a museum mobile phones allow individuals to explore a city, such as the constitutional walking tour of philidelphia, or to go on a nature walk in Portland, Oregon. Best of all at the end of the tour you just hang up with no device to return!

I've heard of other devices, such as the ipod, that also have audio tours designed for them. I think these tours have much less potential due to the limited interactivity that they offer. "If you know you party's extension you can enter it now. If you do not, please select from the following options..." Thats right. The same technology that is the bane of our existance by forcing us to interact with computerized receptionists can also be used for something a little more fun.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.