« Home | I've decided that transcript may be tedious but in... » | Liminal - that's the word I would use to describe ... » | Far be it for me to laugh at anyone but...well I c... » | I’ve been meaning to blog this for a while but I’v... » | This is from my Communication and Technology class... » | A Matter of Tactics: Interpersonal vs. Social Iden... » | I had to share these with somebody. My first one ... » | It's Saturday night and well...I went grocery shop... » | Ok. So here are the field notes from an observatio... » | Well it's official guys...I'm going to China! I go... » 

Monday, March 20, 2006 



















So don't get me wrong. I've seen better movies. But somehow V for Vendetta does address some compelling themes despite being an action flick. Notably when is it our responsibility as citizens to rebel against our government for violations of our civil rights. There are some not so subtle jabs at our current administration in there.

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people. " - V from V For Vendetta

So why do I have a poster of Josè Rívera's Marisol up here to? Because it explores in many ways the same themes as V for Vendetta but in much more subtle (and in my mind more satisfying) ways. Marisol, a young Puertorican woman, is asked by her guardian angel to join the angels in their rebellion against God but she is parlyzed y her fear of betraying her faith. Meanwhile the wicked are allowed to run amuck on earth, men become pregnant, and acid rain burns those who are caught outside as the angels battle an old and senile God in a post-apocalyptic New York. In the end the play leaves you with the realization that one is obligated to rebel even against the highest power (ie. God) if it does not protect and serve those dependant upon it.


NOTE: While Rívera is notably more subtle in his message, he also attempts to comment on too many issues leaving the play a muddled mess at times, but I'm not going to get on him too bad in this post.

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.