« Home | So I've finished my second morning of classes. Th... » | So...I have a few pictures up from China....go to ... » | Yesterday I bought a bike from a used bike shop th... » | So I'm in China. The hardest thing to adapt to is... » | 3 more days till I leave for China!!!This is my ma... » | 3 more days till China!Today I took a break from p... » | Six more days till China!I had to go to the doctor... » | One week till I'm off to China! I'm looking forwa... » | I make no judgements but go to Google and type in ... » | Today for some reason I've been thinking about Ton... » 

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 

So Chinese table manners leave a lot to be desired... apparently when one has something in one's mouth that shouldn't be there it's ok to spit it out on the table. Drinking soup or gruel from a bowl is OK. You can pick up your plate to shovel in rice with chopsticks. I ate lunch with one of my students today (English name is Phillips...don't know the Chinese one) and he spoke with the entire time with food in his mouth. No worries though. I'm willing to let a lot slide. They asked me how long I'd been studying to use chopsticks and I told them I'd been using them on a semi-regular basis for the past two years or so....

Other funny things about China:

- When it's hot the men roll their shirts up past there bellys and stand there with them hanging out.

- The air is so polluted that you can't see more than a mile or so. It's like looking through Gauze. Blue skys? What's that?

- Wine here tastes a little bit like cognac...it's really thick and very strong.

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.