« Home | For anyone that doesn't know by now I will be atte... » | I've mentioned police using social networking site... » | I'm sick. Bad sick. I have a cold which my roomm... » | And so to make a long story short, I got into Anne... » | So I called Annenberg today and spoke to one of t... » | ***UPDATE***Would someone please leave me a commen... » | 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0Hap... » | The Mooninites are coming! Click here if you don... » | Internet piracy and off shore data havens? Recent... » | So recently I was asked to share my experience in ... » 

Sunday, April 08, 2007 

Last week Genevieve Bell, an Intel funded anthropologist, came to Purdue to lecture on wireless technologies connection to the spiritual. One of the things she said that I found most humorous was her association of how people use wifi and and cargo cults. Cargo cults are religious movements found primarily in the South Pacific that believe if they enact certain behaviors (usually modeled on technologically superior Caucasian visitors) then the gods will provide them with gifts and tangible goods. Bell notes that people often behave this way with laptops and other wireless devices in that they boot it up and look for a network and just hope that one is available. The mere act of booting up is a ritual that is intended to bring the network. She notes that on a very fundamental level the public doesn't understand wireless technologies and that it takes upon an element of magic and mysticism. The implication is that our behavior is more rooted in an intuitive mystical understanding of the world.

Labels: , , , , ,

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.