« Home | So I barely have time to eat. As some of you might... » | This is what happens when you try to get someone t... » | So the big news is that I have new pictures up fro... » | So yesterday evening we went out to eat and after ... » | So last night I Jen and I decided to go out and ce... » | So Chinese table manners leave a lot to be desired... » | So I've finished my second morning of classes. Th... » | So...I have a few pictures up from China....go to ... » | Yesterday I bought a bike from a used bike shop th... » | So I'm in China. The hardest thing to adapt to is... » 

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 

My student's have all been asking me for English names...I guess because it's easier to pronounce for English speakers. So fair's fair, I told them if I gave them English names they were going to have to give me a Chinese name. We had a contest in class to come up with the best names and then the class as a whole voted on it. My new name is Shi Kai. Shi is a common family name like Smith and Kai means victory. They said I could shorten it to Sky. Just to make sure they weren't pulling my leg I asked a few Chinese folks what it meant without telling them what my kids had said and they confirmed that they weren't playing some horrible joke on me. They originally tried to phonetically spell my name in Chinese but it just wouldn't work...

Oh, and yesterday some of them told me I wasn't really white but my face was more of a yellow color. More on that later.

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.