« Home | So last night I Jen and I decided to go out and ce... » | So Chinese table manners leave a lot to be desired... » | So I've finished my second morning of classes. Th... » | So...I have a few pictures up from China....go to ... » | Yesterday I bought a bike from a used bike shop th... » | So I'm in China. The hardest thing to adapt to is... » | 3 more days till I leave for China!!!This is my ma... » | 3 more days till China!Today I took a break from p... » | Six more days till China!I had to go to the doctor... » | One week till I'm off to China! I'm looking forwa... » 

Friday, July 07, 2006 

So yesterday evening we went out to eat and after finishing dinner we decided to wander around the streets for a bit just to see what we could find. On a lark Jen and Erica decided to go into a little tea shop and I followed them in. I'm glad I did. I turned out to be one of the better experiences of the night. A man set in this small shop surrounded by elaborately decorated canisters of tea behind a small table which held a sturdy but austere wooden grate, a glass goblet, a small glass pitcher, several porcelin cups, a few tea strainers. The only English that he spoke was the names of the different types of the teas but he managed to convince us to sit and began to make us tea. He would heat the water on a small burner and then put a bit of the tea leaves into the goblet when the water was hot he would fill the goblet with water and allow the tea leaves to steep. He would pour the excess hot water over a small ceramic frog with a coin in his mouth that sat on the edge of the grate. At first we were confused as to why he would do this and guessed that perhaps it was about luck but we later decided that it had more to do with making sure the water was cool prior to hitting the wood. Anyway he would filter the tea into the pitcher and then serve it to you in the small porcelain cups. He kept repeating this process with different sorts of tea until we told him to stop. Over all in this tiny shop just off a busy Beijing street I found myself relaxed.

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.