« Home | So Chinese table manners leave a lot to be desired... » | So I've finished my second morning of classes. Th... » | So...I have a few pictures up from China....go to ... » | Yesterday I bought a bike from a used bike shop th... » | So I'm in China. The hardest thing to adapt to is... » | 3 more days till I leave for China!!!This is my ma... » | 3 more days till China!Today I took a break from p... » | Six more days till China!I had to go to the doctor... » | One week till I'm off to China! I'm looking forwa... » | I make no judgements but go to Google and type in ... » 

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 

So last night I Jen and I decided to go out and celebrate the fourth of July so we headed down to Wudaeku (sp.?) to some of the local bars. Along the way we happened to bump into a few people from our program that convinced us to follow them around the corner to the Pepper Farm, a bar they had visited the night before. Walking up the bar looked wholy unimpressive with a large Jack Daniels billboard-like sign above the glass front doors but upon entering the entire place was bathed in a crimson red light and was actually very posh. There were massive boothes in which you could fit 10 people with deep maroon upholstery and the wait staff was curt but courteous. The bar had red brick walls and small tea candles were placed on the tables Best of all Martinis were about 2.50 american (but that's still very expensive for the Chinese).

As we were sitting there lights came on in the other room above the bar and the guys we were with told us that we had to go watch this. It was amazing. These guys could twirl the bottles and catch them on the backs of there hands. They would juggle two bottles with one hand and use the other hand to wave a bottle in between the juggled ones. They spit fire. They flipped the drinks so that the bottles landed pouring into the shaker. On and on to the beat of Techno music as a live DJ next to the bar went at it. Like nothing I've ever seen. Incredible. Made Tom Cruise in "Cocktail" look autistic...

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.