« Home | Done with the semester. Check out our proposal fo... » | How can the Third World receive internet access? T... » | Probably no more posts till after finals but I'll ... » | Is the World of Warcraft becoming staid? Chris Dal... » | While museums have long rented out specialized han... » | I just want us to question our assumptions. I thi... » | I’m going to say something controversial. I know, ... » | Just like everything organic or that takes on a li... » | The Social Psychological Mechanisms of Online Comm... » | Last spring I posted about Mydeathspace.com, a web... » 

Thursday, December 14, 2006 

I've been transcribing interviews from Beijing for my masters thesis dealing with cell phone usage among young, urban Chinese. One interview I just finished has a girl telling me about how important it is for university students to own a mobile phone in order to participate in university social life. She told me that parent's often purchased mobile phones for their children when they were accepted to university as a reward, even if it was difficult for the parents to afford it. She related it to the one child policy in China, implying that parent's restricted to one child would go the extra mile to make them happy.

Anyway I'll have to see if that finding is replicated in some of the other interviews but I thought it was very interesting.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.