« Home | Ok so here's an exchange between my brothers regar... » | This is to keep the kiddies entertained... Parents... » | Wow! I have a lot coming up right now. I'm getti... » | I wanna go to China bad. I love to travel. The f... » | Jack's Back!!! Alright I have to admit it...I've ... » | So everyone likes free music right? Check out t... » | So my buddy Nick is dragging me with him to go lif... » | Last night I had a dream that I was going to be on... » | Hey everyone! Check out ALICE 2.o, the 3d graphic ... » | A Culture of Connectivity: Control and Marginaliza... » 

Thursday, February 09, 2006 

So I went and talked to the Tsinghua University folks on Wednesday about teaching in China. I turned out that I was the only masters student that showed up for the recruiting session during that hour so it gave me plenty of opportunity to interact with them and let them get to know me. I told them straight up that I was going to take this opportunity to pitch myself and presented them with a resume and the employment application. I told them that I taught public speaking, that I scored very highly on the verbal section of the GRE, and that I had experience operating in a foreign country on my own. Most of all I stressed my enthusiasm for participating in a program like this. They told me that I was a "strong" candidate so we'll see what that means. My real ace in the hole is that I do teach a a public speaking course. They have speech competitions at the camp so I would be perfect for teaching or helping with that. I'm going to follow up with an email right before the applications are do ostensibly to make sure they have my information and applications, but in reality to remind them of my enthusiasm and to jog their memory of me while making the selection process. We'll see.

______

I always wanted to try this while I was in Spain but I never got around to it....

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.