« Home | If you only see one movie this summer see SNAKES O... » | So don't get me wrong. I've seen better movies. ... » | I've decided that transcript may be tedious but in... » | Liminal - that's the word I would use to describe ... » | Far be it for me to laugh at anyone but...well I c... » | I’ve been meaning to blog this for a while but I’v... » | This is from my Communication and Technology class... » | A Matter of Tactics: Interpersonal vs. Social Iden... » | I had to share these with somebody. My first one ... » | It's Saturday night and well...I went grocery shop... » 

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 

Everyones heard from the media the dangers of social networking websites. You know, how they can be used to gather highly personal information about an individual and allow people to stalk you in the real world, right? But what happens when they are used to fight crime. One student at Purdue put it to exactly such a use by turning the tables on her assailent. After being assaulted by an unknown man, she searched the Facebook website until she was able to find his profile. She then provided his information to police who in turn arrested him.

Researchers have always been interested in how people use technology in new, unexpected, and innovative, and the Facebook is definitely being used to in creative ways by law enforcement. Not only do police use it but job recruiters and college administrators do as well. What's more disturbing is that studnets don't think about what they're posting online. Just a note boys...it may be time to take those underage pictures of you drinking down.

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.