« Home | Hostel computers are expensive. I'm alive and in ... » | This will probably be short...I'm about to teach c... » | I'm going to play football with my students. This... » | Yesterday I decided I wanted to do something nice ... » | I'm back from Datong.... I'm really glad that I we... » | Going dark for a few days...nobody panic. I'm hea... » | The taxi cabs have no seat belts and are dirt chea... » | My student's have all been asking me for English n... » | So I barely have time to eat. As some of you might... » | This is what happens when you try to get someone t... » 

Thursday, July 27, 2006 

I'm surrounded by computer nerds. I hear the heavy clack clack of keyboards as someone, somewhere trys to kill a seventh level mage in the nether regions of Hibiscia or something like that. I'm sitting in an internet cafe in Shanghai that seems to be used primarily for games.

Shanghai is cool if not a bit more expensive than Beijing. Tall buildings rise up out of the ground putting my hometowns skyline to shame (it doesn't really have one in retrospect) and each building is capped with a unique structure. It reminds me of a normal city in which each building had an alien space ship land on top of it. The other night Jen, some guys from England, and some fellow American travelers tried to go to the top of Jin Mao to loiter and drink beer in the classiest hotel bar in Shanghai with a view overlooking the colonial architecture along river bank which locals refer to as the Bund. The laughed us out of there. Apparently we can't wear shorts, sneakers, sandals (they call them slippers for some reason) up to the top. So pretty much we were shut out. We ended up drinking at a roof top bar across the way with a pool table and two american dollar beers (pretty good for Shanghai)...

________

Right now we're meshing out rules for a fun drinking game involving Suntory, rolexes, skates, foam mice, panhandling children, and the Bund... Look forward to it!

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.