« Home | My student's have all been asking me for English n... » | So I barely have time to eat. As some of you might... » | This is what happens when you try to get someone t... » | So the big news is that I have new pictures up fro... » | So yesterday evening we went out to eat and after ... » | So last night I Jen and I decided to go out and ce... » | So Chinese table manners leave a lot to be desired... » | So I've finished my second morning of classes. Th... » | So...I have a few pictures up from China....go to ... » | Yesterday I bought a bike from a used bike shop th... » 

Thursday, July 13, 2006 

The taxi cabs have no seat belts and are dirt cheap. It's a dollar to go three kilometers and then 15 cents for each additional mile. Originally we were biking down to some of the bars around campus but one night when we were coming back from something further in town our cab drove by a mangled bicycle in the middle of the road and police taking pictures. Later we learned that an American student from William and Mary's who was studying Mandarin had been hit by a motorcyclist and had fractured his skull and punctured his lungs. He was experiencing Chinese medicine first hand. Jen and I decided it was worth the freaking dollar to ride down to Wudaeku. Somethings you shouldn't cheap out on.....

More Random things about China:

Little kids stare at me when I ride around campus like they've never seen a white person before. The brave one's like to shout out hello.

People are constantly amazed that a westerner can use chopsticks. Somehow that stereotype has survived to current day.

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.