« Home | The taxi cabs have no seat belts and are dirt chea... » | My student's have all been asking me for English n... » | So I barely have time to eat. As some of you might... » | This is what happens when you try to get someone t... » | So the big news is that I have new pictures up fro... » | So yesterday evening we went out to eat and after ... » | So last night I Jen and I decided to go out and ce... » | So Chinese table manners leave a lot to be desired... » | So I've finished my second morning of classes. Th... » | So...I have a few pictures up from China....go to ... » 

Friday, July 14, 2006 

Going dark for a few days...nobody panic. I'm heading to Datong this weekend to see the caves and the hanging monastery. Tonight I take my first night train in China (and I'm not talking about fortified wine).

________

Last night we went to dinner with some of my professors from Purdue who happened to be Beijing for some sort of conference, some Chinese Purdue graduate students, and some new Chinese friends. The restaurant was very nice but there were a few problems. For example, I was seated all the way at the end of the table making it very difficult for me to get enough to eat. In China all dishes are put in the middle of the table and people pick out the food they want directly from the platter with their chopsticks. Perhaps not the most sanitary custom but I haven't gotten sick yet. A small plate is provided to spit out bones, wraps, or to put a few pieces of food on but this is generally no larger than a large saucer. As a result of being at the end of the table only a few dishes were accessible to me and I had to ask to be passed several dishes that contained meat. Then again I didn't end up paying for it so who am I to complain. Overall it was a really positive experience and I have pictures that I'll post as soon as I get the opportunity.

_______

So Jen and I bought this bottle of Chinese rice wine that we really haven't touched. The stuff is rough. My chinese friend Jim took a big swig of it and I did the same. Tastes like someone put a few shots of pure grain alcohol into a bottle of sake. I checked the label and it's 80 proof...ugh.... Last night at dinner we did actually end up with a nice bottle of Tibetan wine. Very delicate without much of a bite. The stuff was excellent and was what we would think of as wine in the United States and Europe. A lot time when you order wine here you end up with something made from fruit that slightly resembles port or brandy.

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.