« Home | So today I went to the Lama Temple in Beijing and ... » | So I'm in China. I start data collection on my pr... » | I'm a rock star. I just finished my first couple ... » | Yesterday one of my professors from Purdue, Jay Wa... » | Ripped from an email to my friend Chris: "....Bei... » | I have made it to China safe and sound. Pirates d... » | The other night Chris and I went to a jimjilbang, ... » | Random thoughts:The ability to ride bicycles on th... » | Fan death is a myth. It's crazy but apparently ma... » | Click here for pictures. » 

Monday, July 16, 2007 

So on Friday I gave everyone a little scare. I don't know exactly what it was but for about an hour I felt very unwell. Most of the time that foreigners don't feel well in Beijing it's the food. They've eaten something that doesn't sit right with them and they begin ...well I figure you have a good enough idea of what probably happens. I don't think it was something I ate. I just think that my body finally told itself, "Scott, you're exhausted!".

I was sitting in class trying to judge the singing competition (which with all the backstreet boys and disingenious, sappy love songs the Chinese love was painful enough) my heart started to beat extremely rapidly my chest felt like it was becoming a bit constricted. I stuck it out as long as I could. I sat there listening to someone sing Westlife's "My Love" for as long as I could before telling my American volunteer, Dale (yes it's a girl actually) that I was feeling unwell and slipping out. Outside I was sitting on the floor, kind of slumped against the wall thinking, "Well this sucks!". Finally, Dale came out and asked me if I was feeling well and I just took her hand and stuck it on my chest so that she could feel how crazy my heart was pumping.

She made me lay down. Women always overreact to everything.

Anyway what I thought was so funny is how some of my students handled it (most were in class and unaware of anything going on). That ones that did find me were like, "Teacher! Are you ok?" They tried to support me like I was lame as I walked. I ended up down in the headquarters office drinking water before insisting on going back to class. I think that in the long run it was just exhaustion from working so hard and never sleeping. It might have been a food allergy but I've never been allergic to any foods before. I've still got a month and half until I'm 26.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.