« Home | So I'm in China. I start data collection on my pr... » | I'm a rock star. I just finished my first couple ... » | Yesterday one of my professors from Purdue, Jay Wa... » | Ripped from an email to my friend Chris: "....Bei... » | I have made it to China safe and sound. Pirates d... » | The other night Chris and I went to a jimjilbang, ... » | Random thoughts:The ability to ride bicycles on th... » | Fan death is a myth. It's crazy but apparently ma... » | Click here for pictures. » | So yesterday I took the KTX from Seoul to Daegu wh... » 

Saturday, July 14, 2007 

So today I went to the Lama Temple in Beijing and for the first time in my life I saw a real prayer wheel. The temple was extremely busy and they had the small bonfires in urns outside each hall feed by joss sticks dropped off by the constant parade of pilgrims. Perhaps the most amazing thing was a huge sandalwood buddha that had been carved from a single piece of wood that stood over 19 meters.

I also walked over to the Tianenmen Square (spelling?) and just marveled at the sheer size of it. I've been there before but it never ceases to impress me. I also never cease to be annoyed by the people constantly trying to sell me mao watchs, red books, kites, postcards, and anything else that a tourist might not really need. There were these cute little Chinese kids running around in the square with the string of kites that would sooner or later wrap up in a tour guides flag or smack an unsuspecting pedestrian in the head.

_______________

I love my students. I'm really looking forward to spending a lot more time with them next week. I'll see about getting pictures up later.

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.