« Home | Perhaps one of the scarier things about my new home. » | Howard Rheingold linked to a seminar paper I wrote... » | So this morning I woke up, went downstairs to the ... » | I’ve been traveling all summer and I’ve come to th... » | So a lot has happened over the past week or so. I... » | So yesterday we went to Leshan (literally "Happy M... » | I wrote a nice long post yesterday about my travel... » | So riht not I'm in a hostel in Chengdu that's pret... » | So Tsinghua English Summer Camp 2007 has finally c... » | So apparently I can no longer post to my blog thro... » 

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 

I saw them cut down a palm tree the other day. One thing that struck me when moving to Los Angeles was all the palm trees. I should have expected it. I'm told they're a type of grass and looking at them surviving in this concrete jungle I can believe it as they seem able to sprout from any crack the sidewalk provides them. They are ubiquitous. Still I remember hearing on NPR a while back that they're not native and that many of them are sick. It's not hard to believe as they often have dead fronds hanging from them even as they tower over all the single and double story buildings that seem to make up LA. I guess that's why when I saw them cutting one down it seemed so interesting. They're not going to replant them and as they die they'll slowly disappear from the cityscape. The workers in hard hats had stopped traffic on Flower Street behind my parking structure and were using a sling attached to a crane to lower it to the ground. The palm was springy, wobbling a little bit in the air as the crane slowly lowered it the pavement and dropped it so carefully that it was almost possible to believe that it didn't make a sound. Of course, I couldn't know that. I was in my car with the windows up and the air conditioner blasting.

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.