« Home | So a lot has happened over the past week or so. I... » | So yesterday we went to Leshan (literally "Happy M... » | I wrote a nice long post yesterday about my travel... » | So riht not I'm in a hostel in Chengdu that's pret... » | So Tsinghua English Summer Camp 2007 has finally c... » | So apparently I can no longer post to my blog thro... » | So on Friday I gave everyone a little scare. I do... » | So today I went to the Lama Temple in Beijing and ... » | So I'm in China. I start data collection on my pr... » | I'm a rock star. I just finished my first couple ... » 

Sunday, August 12, 2007 

I’ve been traveling all summer and I’ve come to the conclusion that the tourism industry is really all about who is the most skilled at cultural pimping. The worst thing is that they often destroy, modify, or subvert the very landscapes and cultures they are attempting to sell. They should remember what every good pimp knows: Discipline the ladies but never on the face.

Ok, so what brought this tirade on. Well I’m back from China and I’m roadtripping across the United States in my little Nissan Altima praying that the little engine holds out till I get to California. I’ve already passed through Oklahoma (flat with funny looking trees compared to Arkansas), through Texas (home of W), and I’m currently in New Mexico.

Last night I stayed in Tucumcari at a 1940’s motor court complete with little drive in garages. Bill, the owner, struck as an aging hippy that was extremely glad to be living a laid back, small town life. Today Paul and I went and saw petroglyphs that were chipped into black volcanic stone. The designs were pretty cool and hopefully I’ll get a chance to upload some pictures before too much longer.

Currently, I’m at the Acoma Pueblo. I haven’t been up but down in the visitors center they have chanting and drum beating playing through the PA. It strikes me as a little cheesy.

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.