« Home | MUST SELL NOW!!!MOVING !!!One used Kidney, Fair Co... » | I'm totally guilty of copyright infringement here.... » | Today was a weird day...I was productive all day l... » | I'm hard at work on my final paper for my Qualitat... » | This is one of my assignments for my qualitative m... » | So I'm teaching class and this is what my class fe... » | So everyone read my posts on networks and understa... » | Not particularly proud of this post but here goes:... » | What Exactly is Wikipedia? Wikipedia is a controve... » | Everyones heard from the media the dangers of soci... » 

Saturday, April 22, 2006 

Alright just a warning this is going to be a rant. I don't think that some people get it. When you're online you see a lot of people that are totally disinhibited in what they say. I guess the prevailing attitude is that I'm the only one who knows it's me or that no one really reads this stuff anyway. Unfortunately that's not really how it works. See my earlier post regarding the organizations and universities using social networking sites to identify undesirable individuals here.

The reality of it is that a person's internet persona should not be considered something that is divorced from the real world. What you do and say online can, and does, affect your life in the real world. A more productive way to approaching an online environment is to treat it like you're giving a speech in front of an audience of millions...because essentially that's what your doing. Honestly, I just really dont' want a million people knowing about my private life.

That being said I'm shocked when I see people blog or put personal information online. Sometimes all that information can be a bit endearing, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Another thing that I find disturbing is individuals that put lots of personal contact information online. I think you should assume any comment you make online can be traced back to you but I'm not going to make it easy. That being said, yes, you can probably find me if you wanted to....

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.