« Home | So yesterday evening I met up with my buddy Chris ... » | So what is Seoul food like? Well yesterday I tried... » | I'm safe and sound in Seoul (How's that for allite... » | I'm driving almost all of I-40 this summer. I'm o... » | Greetings! I'm back on the road for the summer an... » | I'll admit it. I ride a bicycle and I wear a helm... » | Ok my suspicions have been confirmed....For those ... » | 500 hits? So for whatever reason one of my postin... » | Well I'm making the switch to Apple. I think wher... » | It shouldn't snow in mid-April... » 

Saturday, June 23, 2007 

So I've technically been to North Korea. Yesterday I went to the DMZ and visited the JSA where when North Korea and the Republic of Korea do decide to talk they can do it sitting in the same room but in their own respective countries. I'm not kidding. The conference table sits directly on the 38th parrallel and the place is guarded by both sides around the clock. The ROK Marine corps stand like Buckingham palace guards with their arms spread and their hands balled into fists as if they must constantly be prepared to take a swing at you. They where large aviator sunglasses just like that guy in Cool Hand Luke and they give off a constant "Don't F#$# with me" aura.

When you enter the camp they take you up to a pavillion sort of observation tower where you can see the N. Korean side of the border. There are men standing on the other side that are very obviously observing you on the other side through field glasses. The ROK marines stare back but they station themselves so that only half their body is visible from behind the buildings facing N. Korea as to present a lower profile for bullets.

The buildings are primarily two different colors; the silver of the N. Korean side and the UN smurf blue for the good guys. They are designed to be neutral with no decoration and look more or less like house trailers dropped on a lot. A concrete curb runs between the buildings to show where the 38th parrallel lies. Beyond that is a series of small white poles that denote the boundary. Inside the MAC building, which sits on the line is the one and only place you can cross over into N. Korea without a visa or fear.

I was travelling with a bunch of my friend Chris's friends and one among them used to be a member of the communist party in the US. While in the DMZ there was a considerable amount of very vocal encouragement from our traveling companions encouraging him to defect. I was actually suprised that the guards were so layed back about it (well they were motionless) as I thought they would have little sense of humor concerning this. Regardless Jim did not "go home" and we all made it back to Seoul.

On a side note you're only allowed to take pictures in certain areas and one of the guys I was with tried to snap one from his hip as he was walking. A guard came right up to him and asked him to delete it. Very observant. He immediately knew whose shutter it was. Amazing.

Ok, so Paul I've promised pictures. It's not going to be today but soon. I promise.

About me

  • Who: Scott Sanders
  • When: 8-22-1981
  • Scott Sanders is a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Annenberg School of Communication. His research interests lie in how people use communication technologies to maintain and support interpersonal relationships.

View My Stats

Don't step down, Miss Julie. Listen to me--no one would believe that you stepped down of your own accord; people always say that one falls down. -- Jean, Miss Julie.